Imperial Redwater

Imperial Redwater – R. Bruce Angus

1951-1985

R. Bruce Angus, on the St. Marys River, 1971. Roger LeLievre

Specs

Build Information

Year Built: 1951

Builder: Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co., Port Arthur, ON

Hull #106

Registry: CAN 192769

IMO #5288463

Laid Down: March 13, 1950

Launch Date: November 18, 1950

Commissioned: May 15, 1951

Construction

Imperial Redwater was constructed in 1951 as an oil tanker for Pipe Line Tankers LTD. She was the second of her class, constructed to transport crude oil from the end of the Interprovincial Lakehead pipeline at Superior, WI, to Imperial Oil refineries at Sarnia and Clarkson, ON. The Redwater and her sisters were and still remain to be some of the largest tankers to sail the Great Lakes. Three of the four vessels were retired as tankers in 1953 after the pipeline was extended from Superior to Sarnia, and were rebuilt for other purposes.

The Imperial Redwater was the second vessel of her class, and her sisters were the Imperial Leduc [Nipigon Bay, 1955;], Imperial Woodbend [Golden Hind, 1954;] and B. A. Peerless.

Modifications

  • Converted to a gearless bulk carrier, Collingwood Shipyards LTD., Collingwood, ON, 1954.
  • Boilers automated, Toronto, ON, 1980.

General Stats

As Constructed as a Powered Tanker

Length Overall: 619’08”

Length Between Perpendiculars: 600′

Breadth: 68′

Molded Depth: 35′

Loaded Draft: —

Capacity: 12,595 Gross Tons, 9573 Net Tons, 18,418 Deadweight Tonnage

Vessel Type: Petroleum Tanker

Number of Cargo Tanks: —

Primary Operations: Petroleum Trade, between Superior, WI, and Sarnia, ON

Propellers: 1

Rudders: 1

After Conversion to a Gearless Bulk Carrier, 1958

Length Overall: 619’08”

Length Between Perpendiculars: 600′

Breadth: 68′

Molded Depth: 35′

Loaded Draft: —

Capacity: 11,816 Gross Tons, 7950 Net Tons, 16,100 Deadweight Tonnage

Vessel Type: Gearless Bulk Carrier

Number of Cargo Holds: 6

Number of Hatches: 17

Primary Operations: Ore, Grain Trades

Propellers: 1

Rudders: 1


Engineering Equipment

Original

Engine

Engine Type: Steam Turbine

Engine Manufacturer: John Inglis Co., LTD., Toronto, ON

Engine Model: Double-Reduction Geared Triple Cross-Compound Steam Turbine

Number of Engines: 1

Rated HP: 4500 SHP


Boiler

Boiler Type: Oil-fired water tube Boilers

Boiler Manufacturer: Foster-Wheeler, Baar, Switzerland

Boiler Size: 8,864 sq. ft.

Number of Boilers: 2


History

Lineage

Imperial Redwater – 1951-1953

Owner: Pipeline Tankers LTD., Toronto, ON

Operator: Imperial Oil Co., Toronto, ON

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Port Arthur, ON


R. Bruce Angus – 1954-1959

Owner: Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co. LTD., Toronto, ON

Operator: Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co. LTD.

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Toronto, ON


R. Bruce Angus – 1959-1985

Owner: Upper Lakes Shipping LTD., Toronto, ON

Operator: Upper Lakes Shipping LTD.

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Toronto, ON


Her Story

Imperial Redwater was laid down at Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. LTD., at Port Arthur, ON, on March 13, 1950, as their Hull #106. She was launched on November 18, 1950 for Pipe Line Tankers LTD. of Toronto, to be managed by Imperial Oil Co. She was the second of her class, constructed to transport crude oil from the end of the Interprovincial Lakehead pipeline at Superior, WI, to Imperial Oil refineries at Sarnia and Clarkson, ON. The Redwater and her sisters were and still remain to be some of the largest tankers to sail the Great Lakes. Three of the four vessels were retired as tankers in 1953 after the pipeline was extended from Superior to Sarnia, and were rebuilt for other purposes. Imperial Redwater entered service on May 15, 1951, loading crude oil at Superior, WI.

Imperial Redwater operated as a tanker for most of 3 seasons, unloading her final cargo as a tanker at Sarnia, ON, on November 5, 1953. Shortly after unloading, she was sold to Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co. of Toronto, ON, and sailed to Collingwood Shipyards at Collingwood, ON, to be reconstructed as a gearless bulk carrier. At the shipyard, her liquid cargo handling equipment was removed, and her cargo tanks reconfigured into standard bulk carrier holds. Her spar deck was reconstructed with opening deck hatches, and her pilothouse was moved forward. She returned to service as a bulk carrier on June 19, 1954, under the name R. Bruce Angus.

Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence reorganized as Upper Lakes Shipping LTD. in 1959. R. Bruce Angus continued to serve the Seaway ore, coal, and grain trades. On October 26, 1968, the Angus ran aground on the St. Lawrence River near Beauharnois, Quebec. She was refloated the next day after being lightered, and arrived at Port Weller Dry Docks in St. Catharines, ON, for repairs 13 days later. In 1980, R. Bruce Angus had her boilers automated.

R. Bruce Angus loaded her final cargo, a load of wheat, at Thunder Bay, ON, for delivery to Toronto, ON, arriving on Christmas Day. After unloading, she was placed into long-term layup. In 1985, the Angus was sold for scrap, and towed to Quebec City on July 15, 1985. The tow departed Quebec City on July 29, 1985, arriving at the scrapyard at Setubal, Portugal, on August 20, 1985.


Compiled By Brendan Falkowski

Updated on February 23, 2021


Gallery


Sources

Ahoy & Farewell II. Marine Historical Society of Detroit, 1996. Pp. 94.

Berry, Sterling P. “Imperial Redwater”. Great Lakes Vessel History: Vessel Histories of Sterling P. Berry. N.d. Accessed 23 February 2021. <https://www.greatlakesvesselhistory.com/histories-by-name/i/imperial-redwater>

Devendorf, John F. Great Lakes Bulk Carriers, 1869-1985. John F. Devendorf, 1996. Pp. 175.

Great Lakes Ships We Remember III. Marine Historical Society of Detroit,1994. Pp. 187-189.