Imperial Woodbend

Imperial Woodbend – Golden Hind

1952-1982

Golden Hind, on the St. Marys River, 8/6/1971. Roger LeLievre

Specs

Build Information

Year Built: 1951

Builder: Collingwood Shipyards LTD., Collingwood, ON

Hull #147

Registry: CAN 193679

IMO #5133096

Laid Down: —

Launch Date: December 6, 1951

Commissioned: April 20, 1952

Construction

Imperial Woodbend was constructed in 1952 as an oil tanker for Pipe Line Tankers LTD. She was the third of her class, constructed to transport crude oil from the end of the Interprovincial Lakehead pipeline at Superior, WI, to Imperial Oil refineries at Sarnia and Clarkson, ON. The Woodbend and her sisters were and still remain to be some of the largest tankers to sail the Great Lakes. Three of the four vessels were retired as tankers in 1953 after the pipeline was extended from Superior to Sarnia, and were rebuilt for other purposes.

The Imperial Woodbend was the third vessel of her class, and her sisters were the Imperial Leduc [Nipigon Bay, 1955;], Imperial Redwater [R. Bruce Angus, 1954;] and B. A. Peerless.

Modifications

  • Converted to a gearless bulk carrier, E. B. McGee LTD., Port Colborne, ON, 1954.

General Stats

As Constructed as a Powered Tanker

Length Overall: 619’11”

Length Between Perpendiculars: 600′

Breadth: 68′

Molded Depth: 35′

Loaded Draft: —

Capacity: 12,595 Gross Tons, 9573 Net Tons, 18,418 Deadweight Tonnage

Vessel Type: Petroleum Tanker

Number of Cargo Tanks: 27

Primary Operations: Petroleum Trade, between Superior, WI, and Sarnia, ON

Propellers: 1

Rudders: 1

After Conversion to a Gearless Bulk Carrier, 1958

Length Overall: 692′

Length Between Perpendiculars: 672′

Breadth: 68′

Molded Depth: 39′

Loaded Draft: —

Capacity: 13,274 Gross Tons, 9712 Net Tons, 18,030 Deadweight Tonnage

Vessel Type: Gearless Bulk Carrier

Number of Cargo Holds: 4

Number of Hatches: 16 [Hatch-Hold Arrangement: 4-4-4-4]

Primary Operations: Ore, Grain Trades

Propellers: 1

Rudders: 1


Engineering Equipment

Original

Engine

Engine Type: Steam Turbine

Engine Manufacturer: John Inglis Co., LTD., Toronto, ON

Engine Model: Double-Reduction Geared Triple Cross-Compound Steam Turbine

Number of Engines: 1

Rated HP: 4500 SHP


Boiler

Boiler Type: Oil-fired water tube Boilers

Boiler Manufacturer: Foster-Wheeler, Baar, Switzerland

Boiler Size: 8,864 sq. ft.

Number of Boilers: 2


History

Lineage

Imperial Woodbend– 1951-1954

Owner: Pipeline Tankers LTD., Toronto, ON

Operator: Imperial Oil Co., Toronto, ON

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Collingwood, ON


Golden Hind – 1954-1970

Owner: Mohawk Navigation Co. LTD., Montreal, QC

Operator: Mohawk Navigation Co. LTD.

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Montreal, QC


Golden Hind – 1970-1973

Owner: Mohawk Navigation Co., Montreal, QC

Operator: Scott Misener Steamships, St. Catharines, ON

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Montreal, QC


Golden Hind – 1973-1983

Owner: Trico Enterprises LTD., Hamilton, Bermuda

Operator: Quebec & Ontario Transportation Co. LTD., Thorold, ON

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Montreal, QC


Golden Hind – 1983-1986

Owner: Groupe Desgagnes LTD., Quebec City, QC

Operator: Groupe Desgagnes

Flag: Canada

Home Port: Port Colborne, OC


Her Story

Imperial Woodbend was constructed at Collingwood Shipyards of Collingwood, ON, as their Hull #146. She was launched on December 6, 1951 for Pipe Line Tankers LTD. of Toronto, to be managed by Imperial Oil Co. She was the third of her class to be completed, and was constructed to transport crude oil from the end of the Interprovincial Lakehead pipeline at Superior, WI, to Imperial Oil refineries at Sarnia and Clarkson, ON. The Woodbend and her sisters were and still remain to be some of the largest tankers to sail the Great Lakes. Three of the four vessels were retired as tankers in 1953 after the pipeline was extended from Superior to Sarnia, and were rebuilt for other purposes. Imperial Woodbend entered service on April 20, 1952.

By 1954, Imperial Woodbend was put out of service as a tanker due to a new pipeline running from Superior, WI, to Sarnia, ON. She was sold to Mohawk Navigation Co. LTD. of Montreal, QC, and converted to a gearless bulk carrier by E. B. McGee LTD. of Port Colborne, ON in 1954. Her liquid cargo handling equipment was removed and her cargo tanks reconfigured as standard bulk carrier holds. She was deepened by 4′ by constructing a trunk deck over her spar deck, and was fitted with 16 MacGregor sliding cargo hatches. She was renamed Golden Hind, and returned to service on July 17, 1954, loading oats at Port Arthur, ON, for Buffalo, NY.

In 1970, management of the Mohawk fleet was transferred to Scott Misener Steamships LTD. of St. Catharines, ON. Golden Hind was sold in January 1973 to Trico Enterprises LTD. of Hamilton, Bermuda, being managed by Quebec & Ontario Transportation Co. LTD. of Thorold, ON. The Quebec & Ontario fleet was sold to Groupe Desgagnes of Quebec City, QC, in 1983. Golden Hind departed layup on November 18, 1985, in Desgagnes colors, to load grain at Midland, ON. She was the only vessel from the Quebec & Ontario fleet to operate for Desgagnes.

Golden Hind was laid up for the final time on December 29, 1985, at Toronto, ON. She was sold for scrap in the summer of 1986, departing Toronto on her own on September 9, 1986, for Quebec City. She was towed out of Quebec City on September 29, arriving at the scrapyard at Mamonal, Colombia, on October 28, 1986.


Compiled By Brendan Falkowski

Updated on February 23, 2021


Gallery


Sources

Ahoy & Farewell II. Marine Historical Society of Detroit, 1996. Pp. 138.

Berry, Sterling P. “Imperial Woodbend”. Great Lakes Vessel History: Vessel Histories of Sterling P. Berry. N.d. Accessed 23 February 2021. <https://www.greatlakesvesselhistory.com/histories-by-name/i/imperial-woodbend>

Devendorf, John F. Great Lakes Bulk Carriers, 1869-1985. John F. Devendorf, 1996. Pp. 175.

Great Lakes Ships We Remember III. Marine Historical Society of Detroit,1994. Pp. 192-195.